Ben, Paige, William, & Lucy Lewis Family

Saturday, June 4, 2011

We Did It!

This time we stepped it up a tad and ran a 10+K (aka 6.7 miles)

Ben wanted some sort of goal or reason to motivate him/us to workout earlier this year.


I got online and found one of the very few races that was not on a Sunday out here in NY!


It just so happened to be the "Tortoise & Hare 10+K Trail Run"


I thought it was a cute title and quickly glanced at the race, day, time, and location.


It looked like a go, so we started running together more frequently


As the race date got closer I looked at the information a little more closely...



It described itself as "Covers beautiful varied terrain, the flat Larch Meadow Trail, the easy Bear
Trail, the rolling Lake Trail (all sounding pretty nice right?)...

and only one long steep 400 foot incline in half of a mile.



I knew the incline would be bad, but I didn't really realize how bad it would be until we actually
attempted to run the trail/race last Saturday.


Let's just say our goal was to finish the race


We started the race and got our adrenaline going, and had to run through a few pretty muddy spots which resulted in some wet, dirty shoes.

This is kinda what part of the uphill looked like (but much greener and a few less people)

Once the super steep uphill part was over we were loving life and enjoyed the rest of the run.
It was a cloudy day with a few sprinkles but nothing to complain about.

Here we are at the finish line, pretending we ran it in 41 minutes. I think the fastest guy ran it in 45 minutes somehow?!


I didn't get 1st, but did get 71st :) with a time of 67:21 & Ben at 68:26

Ben and I stayed together for a lot of the race, but sometimes I was just ahead of him... and he finished a minute after I did

I forgot how much I enjoy competition.
I loved having people ahead of me so I could chase them down and pass them (or try to at least)

(and I'm pretty sure the two people in front of me didn't finish one second ahead of me, or else I would have had to pass them at the finish line! ha)



Happy to be finished with the race
It got a little rough and dirty on the trail!

Cute Benny boy after the race

Thanks for the fun memory Tortoise and Hare Race!
Maybe we'll see you again next year?!

3 comments:

  1. Yaaay congrats guys :) While you were running I was eating Mexican food for the third time in only a few days. Miss you two already!

    ReplyDelete